Navigation Bar

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
mariner

Navigation Bar

Post by mariner » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:11 am

In v3 I placed navigation bar in left hand column and set up appropriate pages etc. It worked fine. In Preview also the buttons worked.

In v4 (just upgraded) i followed same procedure but although it worked fine after publishing, in Preview the navigation bar buttons did not work as they should - kept getting message: File Not Found. It may have been moved or deleted.

Please advise
Many thanks
TH

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Navigation Bar

Post by Pablo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:34 am

Maybe you have used custom navigation bar images?
If yes, did you copy them to the v4 folder?

Please check the path of the images and make sure it's valid.

mariner

Post by mariner » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:38 am

Pablo wrote:Maybe you have used custom navigation bar images?
If yes, did you copy them to the v4 folder?

Please check the path of the images and make sure it's valid.
Thanks for reply.
I used the Navigation Menu (left hand column) and selected the Navigation Bar (ID NavigationBar1 and 2).

One other problem - having installed v4 and used it - shut down computer - when reopened next day v4 had disappeared and had to reinstall. v4 does not appear in Applications (using a Mac by the way).

Thanks

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:41 am

The navigation bar supports built-in images and custom images. If the custom images were moved or the old version has been uninstalled then the location of those images may be wrong.
Make sure the selected image in the navigation bar properties points to an existing image.

The software cannot remove itself, so if it has disappeared automatically then something/someone else has removed it.

mariner

Post by mariner » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:22 am

Pablo wrote:The navigation bar supports built-in images and custom images. If the custom images were moved or the old version has been uninstalled then the location of those images may be wrong.
Make sure the selected image in the navigation bar properties points to an existing image.

The software cannot remove itself, so if it has disappeared automatically then something/someone else has removed it.
I have still got v2 and v3 on my computer.
I am not using a custom image as it is set to FALSE in the Inspector.
I am not even sure how to load a custom image anyway.
I have used the same procedures in v4 as I did in v3.
When I click on the button bar - Navigation Bar - it points to it in the Inspector.
Apologies for going on about this Pablo but it is baffling me at the moment.

Re the disappearing App I have sorted that thank you.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:58 am

Maybe the application does not have access to the folder where the images are?

To see the path where QWB is looking for the images, set 'Use custom images' to 'True'
Then make sure the application has access to this folder (this is system functionality, the software itself cannot give itself access to folders).
Note that for your system version 4 is a different application than 3, so permissions need to be set separately

mariner

Post by mariner » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Pablo wrote:Maybe the application does not have access to the folder where the images are?

To see the path where QWB is looking for the images, set 'Use custom images' to 'True'
Then make sure the application has access to this folder (this is system functionality, the software itself cannot give itself access to folders).
Note that for your system version 4 is a different application than 3, so permissions need to be set separately
In the Inspector I have set to True.

I can see all the various images that v3 has produced as they are in the 'Images' folder.
However, I cannot see the ones for v4.
The Asset Manager says all OK.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Did you make sure the images are in the folder where the application thinks they are?
Does the software have access to this folder?

Note that this can only be a configuration issue. If the images are where they should be and the software can access them then it will work as expected.

mariner

Post by mariner » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Pablo wrote:Did you make sure the images are in the folder where the application thinks they are?
Does the software have access to this folder?

Note that this can only be a configuration issue. If the images are where they should be and the software can access them then it will work as expected.
Pablo I thank you for your patience.
I am not sure how to find out where the application thinks they are.
I do not understand why the published version works perfectly but not the preview.

It worked under v3 but not v4.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:33 am

I have tried to explain this is my previous reply:
This will display the full path in the 'Filename image' property.
Next you will need to verify whether the image still exists. If it does then it's an issue with (system) permissions.
I do not understand why the published version works perfectly but not the preview.
Because the images are already on the server from a previous upload/publish.
That is why I think it is related to permission. v3 can access the image files, v4 cannot.

mariner

Post by mariner » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:33 am

Pablo wrote:
I have tried to explain this is my previous reply:
This will display the full path in the 'Filename image' property.
Next you will need to verify whether the image still exists. If it does then it's an issue with (system) permissions.
Because the images are already on the server from a previous upload/publish.
That is why I think it is related to permission. v3 can access the image files, v4 cannot.
I decided to make a new test website. Followed the instruction manual.
Saved everything and published to a local folder on computer.
Tested and everything worked fine.
In the QWB folder for the 'new test' website I noticed that the list of images was quite different to that in the local folder where the published sites had put everything.
So it seems to me that it is a folder problem.

Anyway I am happy that I can publish locally and test before publishing online.
Many thanks again Pablo for your patience, which by now I think I have tested to its limit.
Best regards