MegaMenu behavior and appearance

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
capell

MegaMenu behavior and appearance

Post by capell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:53 am

When I re-publish a page the MegaMenu does not appear to behave as in previous releases. To check that this problem has not already been fixed, I upgraded to 5.0.3 and the problem still persists. See the website www.nlcww.org. I have only updated the splash page since release 5 came out. All other pages have not been updated. The old behavior (and what I consider correct) can be seen by navigating off the splash (home) page to an older page (eg by clicking on 'Activities'). There the nav bar appears with white background and the pull down menus appear with white background (eg by hovering over 'Contact Us'). When back on the splash page (by clicking on 'Welcome' in the nav bar) the menu items loose their white backgrounds and the pull-down submenus do not have the white background.

I have looked at the documentation for 5 thinking that there may be a new attribute on MegaMenu (say background) but that does not appear to be the case.

The megamenu is in a MasterFrame that is shared across all other pages, but only the home splash page has been re-published.

Yes, I do test pages before I cut them live, but I did not notice this until after it was public.

John Capell

capell

Re: MegaMenu behavior and appearance

Post by capell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:16 am

The problem appears to be the naming of several javascript functions. I have found one and partially fixed the problem. The MegaMenu code appears to call the function 'cupertino/jquery.ui.all.css' instead of 'cupertino/jquery-ui.min.css'. This appears to be just the tip pf the iceberg. Changing that just solves one of many problems I see on a JavaScript council in my browser. (In chrome do a settings -> more tools -> developers tools)

John Capell

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:41 am

Version 5 uses a newer version of jQuery UI so you will need to republish all files, to make sure the files server are up-to-date.
Also if you have created custom themes then you will need to regenerate them (in the Theme Manager)

1) Open the jQuery UI Theme Manager
2) Select your the theme and click 'Edit'
3) Click 'Save'

capell

Post by capell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 pm

I republished all files in my local copy of the entire website like you recommended. All pages broke. It appears that the javascript file 'jquery.ui.all.css' is produced in the cupertino library but the file 'jquery-ui.min.css' is needed. (I received 404 errors!)

I manually updated the javascript library to include jquery-ui.min.cs and the MegaMenu feature worked.

Please fix this.

John Capell

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:20 pm

There is no need to manually modify the HTML.
I think you have somehow mixed up your themes.

There should only be a 'jquery-ui.min.css' file in the themes folder.
'jquery.ui.all.css' is no longer used, it is from an older version.

Please make sure all files are the latest versions.

capell

Post by capell » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:51 pm

I tried an entire new build using the old .qwb file with negative results. I still receive the 404 errors at runtime. Here is one line (the problem line) from the home page (called index.php) that was just built.

<link href="cupertino/jquery-ui.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Here is a partial listing of what qnewb (the linux executable) generates as a library:

cupertino/jquery-ui.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.accordion.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.all.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.autocomplete.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.base.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.button.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.core.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.datepicker.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.dialog.css
(This is just a partial listing showing only the first 9 entries in the cupertino directory that was just created.)

notice that the index file looks for 'jquery-ui.min.css'.
Notice that that is not in the library!

This is not mixing old with new libraries. This is an entire new build from a previous .qwb file.

John Capell
PS I don't use themes. (I have been using QNEWB since release 2.)

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Here is a partial listing of what qnewb (the linux executable) generates as a library:
cupertino/jquery-ui.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.accordion.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.all.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.autocomplete.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.base.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.button.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.core.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.datepicker.css
cupertino/jquery.ui.dialog.css
These files are from the old version.

Please follow these steps:
- close the application
- make a backup of your files
- remove themeroller folder
- download the Linux zip distribution:
http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/qnewb5_linux.zip
- copy the themeroller folder from this zip file
- each folder should only have 'jquery-ui.min.css' and 'theme.css'. The files in your listing are not the right files. They are from an older version.

The content of this folder determines which files will be published, the folder will be copied to the output 'AS IS". So if the folder has the wrong files then the mega menu (and other jQuery UI widgets) will not work.
The jQuery UI widgets of QWB5 will only work with latest version of the jQuery UI themes.

Alternatively you can download the same files here:
http://jqueryui.com/download/

capell

Post by capell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:33 pm

I will try this. It looks like it will work. But first, where is the themeroller folder located? There appear to be many. Are you referring to the cupertino, js, and images folders that are generated by QNEWB in the particular website tree or the others like 'Quick and Easy Web Builder/themeroller/cupertino' that are generated during installation? Can I use the previous .qwb file (It took me several months to develop the site for this client as I have escapes to php and javascript (and there are many web pages at the www.nlcww.org site ) This is just one of many sites that I use with QNEWB. Typically I download the .deb file from the downloads page and install it as a package. Typically I just reuse the web tree on my apache2 server. Are you saying that I should be starting fresh each release? Can I not leave any files from the previous release or just the themeroller files? I have a big problem if new versions of QNEWB are not upward compatible.

I was unaware of any actions I needed to take when migrating a site built with a previous QNEWB to a new version. Is this documented somewhere? As I stated previously I have been using QNEWB since version 2 and am now using 5.0.3 and have never done what you suggest. I have many projects that have existed since previous versions of QNEWB (some that escape to php, some that escape to javascript, some that escape to MySQL, and one that works in conjunction with android applications).

John Capell

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm

But first, where is the themeroller folder located?
There is only one 'themeroller' folder with several sub folders. You will need to copy the entire folder and it should be a subfolder of the application folder ('Quick and Easy Web Builder/themeroller/)
Basically you replace the one you have with the one in the zip file.
Can I use the previous .qwb file
Yes, of course!
Typically I download the .deb file from the downloads page and install it as a package.
The deb package contains the correct/latest themeroller files files.
Are you saying that I should be starting fresh each release?
You will need to republish all files. Usually during an gardener all files are updates (scripts, themes and other third party content), so you will need to make sure the latest version are on the server,
Can I not leave any files from the previous release or just the themeroller files?
jQuery, jQuery UI and jQuery UI themes are third party files. With each update I try to include the latest version which is usually a lot of work because as you have noticed they are never backward compatible.
However as a user, all you will have to do is republish your website so the latest files are on the server. Projects will always be backward compatible (not forward compatible, because I do not know what the future will look like...)
Is this documented somewhere?
Just make sure you install the application in a separate folder, so you do not end up with a mix of old and new files.
Your project can and other user data stay where it is.
I have been using QNEWB since version 2 and am now using 5.0.3 and have never done what you suggest.
This is the first time since version 2 that the them have been updated because I wanted support the new functionality .

capell

Post by capell » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 am

The MegaMenu now works! I followed your directions and Rebuilt the project 'Church'. I now realize that I must do a full rebuild and republish of all my other projects. Thank You Very Much for all of your time!

The main change was replacing the 'Quick and Easy Web Builder/themeroller' directory with the equivalent directory from the zip file you provided.

Again, Thank You.

John Capell