Q&E crashes when publishing

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
hrk

Q&E crashes when publishing

Post by hrk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Hello!

I have several sites, and all but one load without problems. The one with the problem is by far the largest site, but it published in Q&E V3!

What happens:
1) The generation process works without errors.

2) When the publish phase begins, only these four messages appear:
23/06/2017 14:09:18.000 *** START OF PUBLISH ***
23/06/2017 14:09:18.000 Scanning publish folder...
23/06/2017 14:09:50.000 Found 10956 file(s).
23/06/2017 14:09:50.000 Failed to create publish thread!

3) Another window opens, with the following message:
Failed to load image from file "C:\Data_WebSeite\QuickandEasy\BHKleinAF_Americas2011\110714_plst_rosa_04.jpg"

When I ask for details a long list of messages mentioning failure to load image files appear. One example:
14:09:07: JPEG: Couldn't load - file is probably corrupted.
14:09:07: Unknown image data format.
14:09:07: Failed to load image from file "C:\Data_WebSeite\QuickandEasy\BHKleinAF_Americas2011\110714_plst_rosa_04.jpg".

I tried several times, and the message I mention in '3' is always the last message in the details log. However, it is not always at the same image file, every time a different file is shown. And I checked many of them and they are absolutely normal.

And then Q&E crashes, without further messages.

Would there be some internal tracing facility that I can turn on to help you diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Q&E crashes when publishing

Post by Pablo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Is it possible your project is too large to fit into memory (max 2GB)?
Does it work when you publish only one page at a time?
To be able to help you I need a copy your project file and all the images.

hrk

Post by hrk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm

I made several tests, and size may be an issue: I reduced the number of pages (and pictures) and was able to publish. However, I had to reduce A LOT, and besides, there still remains the fact that Q&E V3 did the publishing. Is this 2GB limit new in recent versions?

Anyway, the files are at

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tmxybaamdnn1 ... reqsa?dl=0

Please have a look at the project and see if you find something that saves me from splitting this site.

Thanks! Cheers.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Is this 2GB limit new in recent versions?
No, this is a systems limitation which applies to all 32bit applications.
However version 5 has more features than version 3, so it uses slightly more memory. This adds up to the memory used by your project, so this is juts coincidence that you have reach the limit.

I have downloaded your project and now I am 100% sure it is related to the memory usage. When you publish all pages at the same then all images need to be loaded so they can be processed.
It is better (and faster) to only publish the pages you have changed, so the software does not need to load all your pages.

hrk

Post by hrk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 pm

OK, understood, will have to live with it and make sure no other sites grow that far.

My problem is that I moved to a new ISP, and I need to load the entire site. Actually, apart from minor maintenance, this is a dormant project, so your suggestion works for whatever I do... after the initial load! :cry:

If I copy the site to a new project and publish after deleting selected folders (different each time) can I get the whole site up and running?

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

If I copy the site to a new project and publish after deleting selected folders (different each time) can I get the whole site up and running?
Yes, that may work.

Or you can temporarily set the largest folder to 'do not publish' and then publish that folder separately.

hrk

Post by hrk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Very good, this is likely to be safer regarding internal links.

Many thanks for the time and patience.

Regards.