re-loading images on each page

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
johnrvd

re-loading images on each page

Post by johnrvd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 am

I used a 3g connection to view my website and I noticed that on various pages with the same images as other pages, including my background image, were re-loading on each page, taking significant time. In the past with website builders, common images didn't need to reload because they were remembered by the browser. Is there a way to adjust this? Thanks. www.johnpaolucci.com

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: re-loading images on each page

Post by Pablo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 am

Your pages are in different folders, this means that the images also are in different folders.
To share the same images you will need to place all pages in one folder.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes that makes sense. I'll put all my images in the same folder. Where do I put my images folder? This is my file structure right now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz_3T ... HZsMXNTdVU

Do I keep the pages where they are? I have the Apple app store version of you application. If you think it would help to have your site version, I can do that.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:50 pm

If you put your pages in different folders then each folder will have its own 'images' folder.
If you want to share the same images then you either have to place all pages in the same folder or use absolute links for the images (instead of local links).

Also it better to use meaningful names for your pages instead of page1, page2 etc.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 pm

let me see if I have this right. Here again is a screenshot of my files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz_3T ... HZsMXNTdVU

The folder I have now called videos, should be where everything is. What is a good name for that folder?

That will be the only folder I need? And inside that folder I'll have another called images? Everything else in that folder will be the html pages?

Sounds like you suggesting that I change the name page 1 to video, page 2 to text, page 3 to Q and A, page 4 to about_john, and page 5 to RV clips. Am I correct?

My questions must be beginner questions, but I'm not having an easy time trying to find these answers in your Board or Help. I appreciate your patients.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 am

The folder videos is ok. However the name of the page should be meaningful.
That will be the only folder I need?
If all your pages are about video, the yes.
And inside that folder I'll have another called images?
Correct
Everything else in that folder will be the html pages?
HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP etc.
You can control the names of sub pages in Preferences->Publish->Target folder for file types
Sounds like you suggesting that I change the name page 1 to video, page 2 to text, page 3 to Q and A, page 4 to about_john, and page 5 to RV clips. Am I correct?
That is more logical then creating a dedicated folder for each page.
My questions must be beginner questions, but I'm not having an easy time trying to find these answers in your Board or Help.
These questions are not specific to the application, but more general knowledge of web sites.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 am

thank you for your complete answer. I just now purchased and installed QEWB from your website instead of the App store and installed it on my second Macbook Pro. I want to redo my site as you said but don't want to lose my work I did on the first laptop, so I'm taking this extra step to give me peace of mind.

After I entered my registration info, I was asked to restart QEWB. But now I can't find the application. It's not in my Applications folder and when I search, nothing comes up. I'm sure there is a simple answer, but this is a good one. Thanks.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 am

Sorry, I found the app way out on my MacBook pro folder. I moved it to applications and it opens okay.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:36 am

I seem to have go myself into difficulty. In the App store version, I used the template Faces.qwb as the basis for what I've designed. In Version 5, on my second laptop, that template doesn't exist. Is there any way to get Faces into Version 5? I tried loading the Faces.qwb from my first laptop, but I get endless messages of each image not found and then it freezes.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 am

I brought the unaltered Faces.qwb over from the first laptop and only one default image was missing so thats fine. It loaded okay.
My question is about adding images. Before, I made a folder on my mac called images. There I kept all the finished images that were ready to insert into the website. If I put a folder called "images" in the file structure of QEWB, how do I get images in it? Or do I need to? Your help PDF doesn't explain that. If there is a place you can point me to, to read that, and save yourself from having to explain it here, that's okay with me.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 am

I'm studying your PDF more closely.
I see the file structure example in your PDF.

Is this picture of #2 the way my files should look like? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz_3T ... TVjM19CNEk

In #3, I put index in the folder, because then the images on the index page would be in the same folder as all the other pages? Or is that not necessary? I presume that's wrong.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 am

To add an image to you project simply click the 'Image' object and select an image.
The image will automatically be copied to the project folder.

Related tutorial:
http://quickandeasywebbuilder.com/add_images.html

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am

Yes, good on images. Could you reply to my last post concerning the correct file structure being #2 in my picture? I think I'm finally getting there.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am

Why did you create a folder with all your pages?
Why not just place all pages in the root?
It looks like you are making it yourself more difficult than necessary.

johnrvd

Post by johnrvd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm

I'd love to do that - okay.
I guess I got confused when you told me, "Your pages are in different folders, this means that the images also are in different folders.
To share the same images you will need to place all pages in one folder."
You meant the root directory, not adding one folder.

Will my pages named video, about john, and so on, be lined up just a little bit off to the right, under the index page?
OR
directly under the index page?

Once I get that straight, I think I'll be good.