Signup - more than one destination?

Issues related to forms.
series7

Signup - more than one destination?

Post by series7 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:33 am

My project is going great. I'm knocking the thing out of the park. I even found how to capture info from users with custom fields that i thought I was going to have to pay someone to do for me. Thanks. This thing is so powerful. If you ever want a testimonial, let me know.

I do have two questions. To keep my own navigation easier, I have folders in the web builder project: Topic A, Topic B and Topic C. I have all of the signup/login/Try again, etc. pages, as well as the HTML and new PHP (protected) pages for Topic A in the Topic A folder. I also use a Topic A folder in my file manager at GoDaddy for the pages, content, and most importantly, the flat database I set up.

Question 1: Let's say the database for Topic A users is TAdb.php. Can I make a database at GoDaddy in the folder there for Topic B (TBdb.php), then have all of the Topic B users sign up on the Topic B signup page, direct it to the TBdb.com file, etc., and have it work?

Question 2: On Page 168 of the help document, there is a box with the following text: Important Notes: All login tool objects in the project should have the same custom profile fields! When adding custom profile fields and you use a MySQL database then you must also add these fields to the database! Should the "login" actually say "signup"? What are the "login tool objects" that need to be synced?

Let me squeeze in another one...if I CAN do what I asked about in Question 1, and if I click on Apply to All, when I drag and drop the signup form for Topics B and C, will they be prepopulated with my custom fields?

Again, I'm so excited about what I have been able to do. Thank you again and again.

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Signup - more than one destination?

Post by Pablo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:13 am

The login tools were not designed to be used multiple times with different database in the same project/website.
If you need more advanced functionality then you will need to edit the code yourself. You can use 'Convert to form' to convert login forms to a standard form (for advanced users only!)

The login tools that need to be synced are:
- signup
- edit profile
- admin

series7

Post by series7 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:30 pm

OK. I can still make it work, especially using the custom fields. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried it? Is it known to mess things up? Should I give it a test and let you know?

Thanks again. Really appreciate the quick help as well.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried it?
Not that I know of, but it's all standard PHP code. So the only limitation is your imagination;)

series7

Post by series7 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks. I'll try it and let you know. The worst that happens is that it doesn't work. :lol:

series7

Post by series7 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:22 pm

FYI, I gave it a shot and got undesirable behavior. What I'm using now is a flat database. It's providing acceptable functionality. Reading my old post, it's not as clear as it could be. I think I may be on the right track, but wanted to check before I accidentally blew the whole thing up.

I have password protected pages on my site. There are actually three topics that the videos on the pages cover, A, B and C. Right now, if a user signs up for A, they also get access to the content for B and C. Likewise with signing up for (and paying for) B, etc. What I want is that if someone pays for and signs up for A, they only get access to A. If they pay for B, they get B only, etc.

I'm pretty sure I can't differentiate with a flat database(s). My efforts so far have been unsuccessful. I'm thinking there are three possible ways to reach the goal. Can you help me choose the right one?

1. Create and use a single MySQL database on the server, and create three tables in the database - A, B and C. If so, can I refer to tables in the registration and login tools?
2. Create three MySQL databases on the server (A, B and C), each with one table. Refer to the respective databases in the login tools.
3. Redirect B and C users to different domains and do like I'm doing now, but do it three times.

I hope it's not 3, but if so...that's life.

I'm in way over my capabilities, but you guys make it so easy to go that next step...

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:54 pm

1. Create and use a single MySQL database on the server, and create three tables in the database - A, B and C. If so, can I refer to tables in the registration and login tools?
The login tools were designed to use one database. There is no functionality that will keep 3 login system apart. You will need to implement this functionality yourself.
For me this would also take several days (or weeks) to implement. Unfortunately I cannot help you with this.
You can still use all the visual (form) tools of QnEWB, but the 'logic' must be programmed.