Random links to Whisky Exchange dotted into my web pages

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
DoctorWeb

Random links to Whisky Exchange dotted into my web pages

Post by DoctorWeb » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Pages that were fine in the past have suddenly started getting strange links on them.
We were checking some minor changes on different screen sizes and checking the links on the pages. Some new ones have appeared suddenly - just in various random words (such as steak, course, arbitrary, etc) and they all point to a page on the "Whisky Exchange.com" (their page that does an age challenge; its https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p-sea ... ikers.html)

(I see that link looks like an affiliate link of sorts, but when we send the raw page into QnEWB it has no links on those words at all, no mention of whisky and Ive never visited that site before, so it cant be a virus or anything. I dont even drink the stuff!). But that page address somes back with the web page URL of the page OK
http://dietsthatwork.co.uk/HairyBikers.html
- but with lots of extra flim-flam inserted. (and what are all those % signs I keep seeing?)
Ive left the page up - the linked words have now gone blue and underlined. I have tried going back to the original, removing the word and retyping it, etc.
When I put it up on site it looks OK for a second, the suddenly the word does blue and is underlines again.

Could this be a virus? Or have I triggered some strange and hidden command to add random links to teh Whiosky Exchange?

Many Thanks

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Random links to Whisky Exchange dotted into my web pages

Post by Pablo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 pm

I do not see any reference to 'Whisky' in your page, so I doubt that this has anything to do with the software.
And I can ensure you that QWB does not add random links!

Maybe it is a 'feature' of your browser?

mexman

Post by mexman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 am

DoctorWeb:
I can't see anything alike either.
I also suspect of the Browser or your Host easyspace.com.
Your code seems clean to me!
Regards
Michael

DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks Gentlemen,

We haven't used Easyspace for ten years or so, so I can't blame them, the browser is Safari, but looking via Opera that has the same links. It's only on two pages too, so I shall start new ones from scratch. I so appreciate your time and comments, very useful.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:22 pm

I do not think starting from scratch will solve this issue. Because it is not related to the application.
Did you also try to view the pages on another computer?

DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm

I built new pages from scratch and have not seen a repeat.

I also get occasional rogue / random text boxes crop up to the right, and wont be moved off view,
and they are caused by other boxes - when I delete the others one by one, suddenly the random crop up box disappears and all goes back to normal. It may be some odd character or combination of key clicks i am inserting in some boxes.

A good solutionwould be for me to check each pages every few extra objects i put in, rather than get a few dozen objects on a page and then have to go back and remove them one by one.

Thanks anyway

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm

I strongly doubt that 'random' text boxes will be added to the page automatically.
If there are text boxes on the page then you must have added them yourself (accidentally).

DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm sure you are right Pablo.

One thing I have found is that I often wonder "where did that box go?", when some work disappears, only to find it later when a ghost chunk of text keeps on appearing. It seems I can make text boxes and other objects collapse into being zero wide and zero high just by taking eyes off the screen for a minute :P
I only discovered these recently when I found the "error reports" facility under the page menu tab. Its helped me clean up a lot of my sites, inclduing the golden nugget to "not include spaces, etc in dobject names" I never knew that, beacasuse in the Mac world we make file names elgant, and uncluttered by suffixes; I didnt realise that the web and QnB WB throws a hissy at some names.

I'm learning, and thank you all for your help.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm

I didnt realise that the web and QnB WB throws a hissy at some names.
QnEWB does not care what filenames you use. However, web servers and browsers do.
So, that is why the application displays a warning about this in Error Reports.