Menu Bar sub-pages behind page items

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Brian

Menu Bar sub-pages behind page items

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 pm

I've added a menu bar to my Master page. Some of the page tabs have several child pages in the drop-down.
When I preview the site, the child page tabs (sub menus) drop down behind text or other items on a normal page. How do I get the menu bar and it's drop-down sub-menus to be in front of other page items?
The menu bar is the front-most item on the Master page (at the bottom of the list of objects) and I've made sure that the Master page is at the bottom of the page list - so that it has highest z-position, I've also tried placing the menu bar onto a layer, but nothing seems to work.
Cheers,
Brian

Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Menu Bar sub-pages behind page items

Post by Pablo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Make sure the menu is on top of all other content.
If the menu is on a master page then you should also move the master page to the front.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.
(I think) I've done as you suggest;

Make sure the menu is on top of all other content.

It's at the bottom of the Object list for the Master page - so this is at the front of all other items?

If the menu is on a master page then you should also move the master page to the front.

The Master page is at the bottom of the Site list, so it's the front page?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:07 pm

It's at the bottom of the Object list for the Master page - so this is at the front of all other items?
Correct

In that case the browser should display it on top of everything else. In some layout it may also be necessary to disable 'master page is a layer' in the master page properties.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Fixed It!
The menu bar was at the bottom of the Object Manager for the Master page, therefore the frontmost item on the Master page.
The Master page was at the bottom of the Site Manager, therefore the frontmost page.
However, when I selected any other page in the Site Manager, the Master page was at the top of the list in the Object Manager - i.e., at the back.
By putting the Master page at the bottom of the Object Manager for each page, I now have a menu bar that behaves correctly.
Thanks for your help.
Brian

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 pm

This, however, leaves me with another problem...
Because the Master page is now the frontmost object in the Object Manager, I'm unable to select an item such as text or photo that's on the page but is now below the Master page (above it in the Object Manager list). I have to move the Master page up the list of items in the Object Manager, make changes to my text, photo etc and then bring the Master page back to the bottom of the list in the Object Manager, so that it's the front object.
Is this the correct way to do things?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:50 am

Did you consider using multiple master page objects?

Brian

Post by Brian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Sorry, but I don't understand your last post - could you expand upon this ?

The only item that was blocking the menu bar drop-downs is a header / banner on each page. If I put this at the back (at the top of the Object Manager list), followed by the menu bar, and then everything else on the page goes in front of these 2 items, then making changes to anything on the page (except the page header / banner) will not involve moving the Master page or anything else.

I've just noticed that if I change 'Master Page is a layer' to false on all my pages, I'm able to have any object at any place in the z order and still have the menu bar work correctly (like you mentioned earlier... :oops: )
Thanks for your help, it's all working fine now and in the way I would expect it to.
Cheers,
Brian

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Sorry, but I don't understand your last post - could you expand upon this ?
If you use multiple master page objects then you can have a separate master page for your menu, so you will have move control over the z-order of individual objects.
Many layout have a separate master page for your header/footer and side bar or body content.