Losing Extensions

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
kgnoble

Losing Extensions

Post by kgnoble »

Hi Pablo

I seem to be having some problems with v.6 (just updated to 6.03) on two fronts.

1) Each time I install (two) extensions, they remain for the period that the software is open, but when I reopen - the extensions have gone
2) I am having difficulty in uploading the files to the host server. The software stops at the first item being uploaded and then after a period of time, the software disappears. I have uploaded the files directly with FileZilla and they arrive at the host server without problem.

Would either or both of these problems arise because I am loading the the qwb file created originally in v5?

Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Keith
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Losing Extensions

Post by Pablo »

I doubt that this has anything to do with the new version otherwise other users would have the same issues.
Also, I do not think the problems are not related to the version 5 project.
Do you have the same problem with a new project and the same files?
Which platform are you using? 32bit or 64bit?

1. The software will never remove any files by itself. Maybe your virus scanner accidentally removes the files?
or maybe 'something' (firewall/virusscanner) prevents the software form saving file to your computer?

2. Maybe the file is too big to upload to the server?
Or maybe the filename is not valid/websafe?
Or maybe you will need to upload via Secure FTP?
or maybe your firewall blocks the connection?
kgnoble

Post by kgnoble »

Hi Pablo

Will experiment some more now that you have confirmed it is not generally happening. I am using 64bit Linux Mint 19 Mate.

I will let you know how I get on

Best

Keith
mexman

Post by mexman »

Keith: For any trouble regarding publishing to the server, I recommend first to publish locally (to your directory offline). Then your can start the website locally (except any PHP based function) and check if everything is working. In that case the problem is a connection or server side problem!
regards
Michael
QnEWB V6.x - Ubuntu 18.04
kgnoble

Post by kgnoble »

Pablo / Michael

Thanks for your replies.

Very odd situation. I have been experimenting and have the following results.

1) Upload files from my Linux Mint qnewb to a test folder at my host (HiHosting) and everything works.
2) Upload files from my Linux Mint qnewb to the dedicated website on same host, and which has worked previously, loading stops at the first file and the program drops out
3) Upload files from Win10 qnewb to the dedicated website on the same host, and everything works.
4) Recreate qwb file in Win 10 and transfer to Linux Mint and the loading stops at the first file and the program drops out.
5) Create local folder of files in Linux Mint and then use Filezilla to transfer files, and everything works!

Bizarre! The host server obviously works as I have no problems with the Win10 upload.

The only thought I have is if there is a limit on the length of characters for file names, which although the Linux Mint program is happy to load (without spaces in filename) and which Win10 does, somehow does not upload them fully - I can see all the files and correct filenames on the host server.

Any thoughts - other than length of file names? Longest 85 characters!!

Regards

Keith
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Does it work when you change the name of the file?
Note that FTP is third party functionality so I have no control over how this works.
Are there any steps I can do to reproduce this behavior myself?
kgnoble

Post by kgnoble »

Back at my desk now - I am going to shorten all the paths (I was horrified to count the characters!) and then try again. At least I can then exclude that as a possibility. Failing that I can upload the qwb file if you would like to see it.

For my understanding, the image and audio files are uploaded from a folder stored together with the qwb file, rather than direct from my own individual folders? If that is the case then that is where I should initially shorten the path, and move on from there.

Will report back.

Thanks for your help

K

ps Hi Hosting do both forms of file transfer....

K
kgnoble

Post by kgnoble »

Should have done this before troubling you!

The program functions perfectly - extensions and uploading; now that the path is (quite a bit) shorter.

Sorry to have bothered you. Happy bunny now

Best wishes

Keith
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for clearing that up!