Chunky Item of type 8 bits ????

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
DoctorWeb

Chunky Item of type 8 bits ????

Post by DoctorWeb »

suddenly got V5 being difficult. Very slow loading, and giving me spinn ing beach ball after every change. Sometimes it settles down, and then sometimes I am locked out and can only Force QUit and reopen.

Message says there is an error in a box and this message:
Expected chunk item of type '8bits uint' but got type '0x00'

Have done the usual - Restart, down to Disk First Aid, etc.
No other software giving problems.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Chunky Item of type 8 bits ????

Post by Pablo »

Do you have the same problem with all your projects or maybe your project got corrupt?
Did try to load a backup?
If you have the same problem with a new project then what are the exact steps to reproduce this behavior?
DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb »

I abandonded the work I was doing on V5 as it was going very slow and slightly crazy on me and I upgraded to V6.

V6 seems to work great in allowing me to set out pages etc as I want to,
but then when I try and upload them to my servers, it wont let me in. I laboriously copied out all the addresses and passwords etc (it would be great if the different versions could just use the previous versions settings!) but my servers will not allow access

I tried to revert to version 5. which is working fine on one site only, and has upl,oaded OK. This is one that I never tried opening with V6.

When I try to use V5 open my other sites (presumably these now have some V6 coding in them), the QnEWB programme (V5) just closes down, and wont even let me see whats in them.

Summary: i have
A. V5 - works perfect on one web site, but wont open my other site that have used V6

B V6 that will open pages, let me work on them and then refuses to let me upload to servers.
(My V6 is paid for, not a demo)

Anyone know how I can make a qnwb file work on V5 again once it had changed to V6? Or where I can find out what the changes I need to mak, so I can upload a V6 site to servers.
Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

I really think there is an error in your settings somewhere.
What is the exact error?
it would be great if the different versions could just use the previous versions settings
Related FAQ:
http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/f ... 10&t=43939
DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb »

Ive copied across the ftp settings; host, URL, password etc, character-perfect, and it just doesnt connect.
But the version 5 files will connext using V5.
I tried doing these individually and using the info as you directed me to, via the Prefs file in Library.

Worse, a section of my site that i have migrated to V6, and that now wont open on V5 any longer, has closed down about 10 pages under one sub-heder in the Navigation bar. All I can see under Preview (ie before sending to the server) is a page of black, its as wide or as tall as I make the page in the Property Inspector. Looking at the Site Manager, all the names of the pages in that section are now unnamed.
Obviously I dare not Publish this site from V6, but I am stuck with that. The only escape seems to be to reconstruct the pages from scratch - I can think of better ways to spend Christmas!

Does the appearance of the mass of black, and no file names or other details in the Inspector, sound like a bug or some corruption?
I've compared the Property Inspector with other sites which i can still ammend in V5, and nothing is untoward at all.

(I had suspected the cause was a new server at the web hosting company, from when I migrated across to HTTPS, but this is happening in my Mac before publish, so it has to be at my end, not hosting.

Thanks for any suggestions
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Does the appearance of the mass of black, and no file names or other details in the Inspector, sound like a bug or some corruption?
I have not heard about this behavior before, so I do not think this is a bug. Otherwise other user would have the same problem.
Note that once you have opened/saved your project in V6 then you can not longer open it in V5. V5 does not support the document format of V6.
But I assume you have a backup of your project so that should work.

Please try to focus on one thing at a time. Do not change anything else until you have got the basics working.

Maybe you have a firewall which blocks the connection for V6? What is the exact error message?
If you have changed your host to https then you may need to use 'secure ftp' instead of standard ftp. V6 also supports this.