Blog object comments

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
theheerenhouse

Blog object comments

Post by theheerenhouse »

greetings Pablo,

I am trying to create a blog-page.
I have selected lay-out template: 'blocks'
In the program it shows the option: 'send comments'
However, this option disappears in the browser and so far all attempts to correct this have failed.
Any idea what could be the cause?
I do get 'continue reading' because I had included a longer test text.

If I understand it correct comments will be send to the email address included.
Is there an option that comments can be posted also?

Any advice is highly recommended.
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Blog object comments

Post by Pablo »

There are several layout templates for the blog. Some of them do not support 'send comment' option.
Note that the workspace always displays the default layout, because the layout are HTML templates. So they must be viewed in a browser.

Also note that the 'send comments' just adds an email link to the message, because the blog is not a databases driven solution so it cannot store comments on the server.

A more powerful blog/cms is planned for the next version.
moris

Post by moris »

Oh sounds great! I was about to request adding a Blog with Database support so great to hear.
Thanks Pablo!
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

I am now finishing my work on the renewal of this website and the only point remaining is the possibility to place a comment on the blog page by a registered user.

Pablo, do I understand it correct that this can be realized by

- adding the 'login' option as already included in my current version 7.4.1
- however for adding the option to place a comment by a registered user on a blog post, I need to purchase version 8 for the 'comments plugin'.

Just want to be sure before buying.

Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

- adding the 'login' option as already included in my current version 7.4.1
Adding a login will not add the ability to add comments to a page. It's only to protect pages from being viewed by unregistered users.
- however for adding the option to place a comment by a registered user on a blog post, I need to purchase version 8 for the 'comments plugin'.
version 8 has a new CMS tools which also includes a 'comments plugin'. The comments plugin can be added to CMS pages.
You can download the demo of version 8 and spend some time to play with the new features before you decide to purchase it.
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

Feedback in website link error.

I have downloaded the trial version 8.
Now reading about plugin comments
http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/cms_plugins.html
First line:
Important
Before reading this tutorial make sure you understand the basic of the CMS tools: Getting started with the Content Management System.
but this links to:
http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/masterframe.html

Have found the correct link;
http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/cms_tools.html

just so you are aware.
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

same page bottom:

Demo Project
https://quickandeasywebbuilder.com/cms/cms_demo.zip

It does not download the file but goes to
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/support/cms/

Online Demo
https://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/support/cms/
opens:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/support/cms/
both are 'wysiwyg' files.

Not sure if this is as intended.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for the feedback! The links have been fixed.
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

Have spend all day at this and not sure if this is something I can manage.

Goal: allowing readers to place a comment on the blog page.
Hosting comp is vimexx.nl and they offer mysql management and I know how to access that through admin.

However in the demo file the following line:
2. Create a MySQL database on the server.
The content of the online pages needs to be store in a database. So you will either have to create a new database or use an existing one. If you don't know how to create a database then please consult the documentation of your host.

So far I have managed to create a basic website but now at the end of the day I wonder if this is a bridge too far, because I do not now how to create a database or use an existing one.

So my questions is; is adding the comment plugin actually considered too complicated for the beginner or should I be able to take the database hurdle?

Please advice.
Paulus
www.erikslebos.com
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Before you can use the CMS commnet plugin, you will need to setup the CMS because this uses a database for the (dynamic) content of page(s).
You cannot add comments to a static page. You will need a database based solution for this.

Did you manage to make the example CMS template work?
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

Thank you and yes I was able to open the cms demo.
This is how far it brought me:

- Create a MySQL database on the server.
I used directadmin to login, go to mySql management and created a new database u89934p85306_erikslebosblog.
(By default it had a database named u89934p85306_bb1 but no idea if this can/should be used)

- After you have created a new database, use you must enter the database information in both the CMS Admin and CMS View objects.
I know where to find these two, but do not understand where to put them. On the 'blog' page where the comment plugin needs to be or on a new page in this project? (which is what I did)

- Server - Specifies the MySQL database server
Not sure what this is, so I gambled on 'u89934p85306_erikslebosblog'

- Publish this website project to a folder on your website.
Published it to a folder.

- Now you can start creating new pages.
By default this CMSadmin1 frame is showing Page 1 Pablo as in the template. No idea what this is for and if I should create new pages.
This project is a copy from the website I have built with Version 7 in trial version 8, so I have not uploaded it to the server.

Not fully sure if I am now on the right track.
All suggestions are highly appreciated.
Paulus
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

I used directadmin to login, go to mySql management and created a new database u89934p85306_erikslebosblog.
OK
I know where to find these two, but do not understand where to put them.
Please do not try to do too much at the same time.
First make the basic CMS work before you go use plugins. You only make it more difficult for yourself.
Not sure what this is, so I gambled on 'u89934p85306_erikslebosblog'
Only your web host can tell you the correct values, these are different for each website.
Published it to a folder.
Ok, then if you used the correct settings then you shoudl be able to see the demo when you visit the folder in your browser.
By default this CMSadmin1 frame is showing Page 1 Pablo as in the template. No idea what this is for and if I should create new pages.
You can add as many pages are you want.
This project is a copy from the website I have built with Version 7 in trial version 8, so I have not uploaded it to the server.
The CMS website must be published to the server otherwise it will not work.
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

Have spend extra time reading the various instructions and slowly came to understand where I initially had not a proper understanding.

Unfortunately I have not been able to take the hurdle of step 4 in the cms-tools manual. (Publish the entire project (all pages) to a server with MYSQL/PHP. Make sure you don't overwrite your existing website! Use a different folder...)
This has now given me the impression that cms-management and comments plugin are for the very advanced user only and I better give up on this feature for now. :cry:

Thanks anyhow.
Paulus
moris

Post by moris »

Hi Paulus,

I would not give up so easily, I would recommend you to contact your Hosting and ask for help with setting up the MySQL.
I am not very technical and this is what I did and they just provided me the MySQL details.

Good luck.
theheerenhouse

Post by theheerenhouse »

moris wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:12 am Hi Paulus,

I would not give up so easily, I would recommend you to contact your Hosting and ask for help with setting up the MySQL.
I am not very technical and this is what I did and they just provided me the MySQL details.

Good luck.
Thank you for the heads-up on this, Moris. However, I do not think my challenge is with the server but with understanding the QandE instructions.
Probably I have also spend too much time on it, so better to walk away from it and pick up next year with a fresh mind.